What are Stomach Ulcers?
Stomach ulcers are painful sores that can be found in the stomach lining or small intestine. Stomach ulcers are the most visible sign of peptic ulcer disease. They occur when the thick layer of mucus that protects your stomach from digestive juices is reduced, thus enabling the digestive acids to eat away at the lining tissues of the stomach.
What are the Symptoms of Stomach Ulcers?
An ulcer may or may not have symptoms. When symptoms occur, they may include:
- A severe or burning pain in the middle or upper stomach between meals or at night
- Nausea or vomiting
- In severe cases, symptoms can include:
- Dark or black stool (due to bleeding)
- Vomiting blood (that can look like "coffee-grounds")
- Weight loss
- Severe pain in the mid to upper abdomen
What Causes Stomach Ulcers?
Stomach ulcers aren’t necessarily caused by one single factor. The decrease in the stomach’s mucus lining that leads to an ulcer is usually caused by one of the following:
- an infection with the bacterium Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori)
- long-term use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), such as aspirin and ibuprofen
- excess acid (hyperacidity) in the stomach, which may be related to genetics, lifestyle (stress, smoking), and certain foods
- Zollinger-Ellison syndrome, a rare disease that makes the body produce excess stomach acid
Can Stomach Ulcers be serious?
Though ulcers often heal on their own, you shouldn't ignore their warning signs. If not properly treated, ulcers can lead to serious health problems, including:
- Perforation (a hole through the wall of the stomach)
- Gastric outlet obstruction from swelling or scarring that blocks the passageway leading from the stomach to the small intestine
How are stomach ulcers diagnosed at GNH Hospital, Gurgaon, Haryana, India?
At GNH Hospital our team of best doctors consisting of physicians and gastroenterologist will diagnose the stomach ulcers through:
- Enquiring about the symptoms
- Physical Evaluation
At GNH Hospital we have some of the best gastroenterologist experienced in treating patients with stomach ulcers. Apart from the doctors GNH Hospital also has one of the best endoscopes in the world from Fujinon for endoscopy and colonoscopy.
What are the treatment options available at GNH Hospital for the treatment of Stomach Ulcers?
As mentioned above most of the times these ulcers may heal on theor own. However n certain cases they need to be treated. It is always in the best inteest of the patient to get the stomach ulcer checkeed and diagnosed properly. At GNH Hospital we treat stomach ulcers through:
Life Style Changes - To treat an ulcer, first eliminate substances that can be causing the ulcers. If you smoke or drink alcohol, stop. If the ulcer is believed to be caused by the use of pain killers or other anti inflamatory medicines then they need to be stopped.
Medication - Most of the stomach ulcers if diagnosed well in time can be treated through medicines.
Surgery - In certain cases we perform surgery to treat stomach ulcers. Surgery is required if the ulcer has created a hole in the wall of the stomach or if there is serious bleeding that can't be controlled through conservative methods.