A Hysterectomy is an operation to remove a woman's uterus. Gynaecologists use latest techniques like Laparoscope Assisted Vaginal Hysterectomy (LAVH) for doing Hysterectomy. Laparoscopically assisted vaginal hysterectomy (LAVH) is a surgical procedure using a laparoscope to guide the removal of the uterus and/or Fallopian tubes and ovaries through the vagina (birth canal). During a hysterectomy the surgeon may remove the entire uterus or just part of it. The fallopian tubes and ovaries may also be removed.
Types of Hysterectomy done in India
Partial (supracervical) hysterectomy: In this type of hysterectomy gynaecologist or the laparoscopic surgeon performs removal of upper part of the uterus . The cervix is left in place.
Total hysterectomy: In this process gynaecologist or surgeon does uterus removal alongwith the cervix.
Radical hysterectomy: This type of hysterectomy is performed very rarerly. Mostly in cases of cancer of uterus. In this type of hysterectomy uterus removal along with cervix, sides of uterus and ovaries may or may not be removed.
Your doctor will help you decide which type of hysterectomy is best for you. The choice often depends on your medical history and reason for the surgery.
Reasons for When Hysterectomy is Advised
There are many reasons a for which a woman may need a hysterectomy. Gynaecologist may advise hysterectomy in following condtions:
- Cancer of the uterus, cervix or the ovary
-Childbirth complications, such as uncontrolled bleeding
- Long-term (chronic) pelvic pain
- Severe endometriosis that does not get better with other treatments
- Severe, long-term vaginal bleeding that is not controlled with other treatments
- Slipping of the uterus into the vagina (uterine prolapse)
- Large Fibroids, which cause heavy, painful periods
A Gynaecologist or the surgeon may use different approaches for hysterectomy, depending upon the reason for the hysterectomy and woman's overall health.
- Abdominal hysterectomy - This is done through the lower part of your belly.
- Vaginal hysterectomy - As the name suggest this is done through the vagina.
- Laparoscopically Assisted Vaginal Hysterectomy (LAVH) - This is the most advanced type of hysterectomy and is done using a laparoscope to guide the removal of the uterus and/or Fallopian tubes and ovaries through the vagina (birth canal). However it may be noted that not all cases are fit for a laparoscopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy. The decisionof the surgeon or the gyanecologist whether to go for a LAVH or abdmonial hysterectomy depends upon the reason for hysterectomy. The main objective is to have least possible blood loss and safety of patient.
The period of stay for laparoscopic hysterectomy is same as that of any other laparoscopic surgery. Complete recovery after the surgery takes almost 5-6 weeks but during this period you can do your daily works except lifting heavy objects or physical training.
Cost of Hysterectomy at GNH Hospital Gurgaon India
The cost of hysterectomy depends upon the type of hysterectomy decided for. Cost of a Laparoscope Asissted Vaginal Hysterectomy would be a bit higher as compared to abdominal hysterectomy. However whichever may be the type of hysterectomy at GNH Hospital you will get an all inclusive package cost for hysterectomy surgery that includes Surgeon Fee, Room Rent , OT & Gases, Anaesthesia Charges, Medicine and Consumables, Nursing Charges and Patient Meals.